May 31, 2011

Modern Pterosaur in Australia

Sighting reports of modern pterosaurs in Australia often come from the coast: eastern coast (just north of Brisbane), south coast, and west coast. The following report involves a sighting in the outback.

Giant Pterodactyls in Australia
“In the early 1990s I was living in . . . South Australia. . . . [I] drove from Perth out to Western Australia . . .  [to] see the outback. . . . stopped . . . set up the tent . . . and wanted to see the sun go down . . . [something] looked like an airplane, far away. . . . maybe a couple hundred feet [high]. . . . it got nearer to me, I noticed that the wings were actually flapping gently. . . . color was a dark tan. . . . no sound. It was getting closer . . . had a wingspan [of about] 15 or 20 feet. It got close . . . leathery . . . no feathers at all.”
The following sighting was in the south, in the state of Victoria:

High Altitude Pterosaur in Victoria, Australia
I live in Australia in the state of Victoria near the Dandenong Ranges about 25 klms east of Melbourne. I am not a whacko just a normal family man, married with a wife of 40 years.

I think it would have been around the late 1990′s. I was standing outside about nine o’clock one night. It was full moon and very bright with a cloud bank to the south east extending to and over the Ranges. Mt. Dandenong is about 2000 feet high and the clouds were much higher than this.

I glanced to the south and [saw] . . . something flying that appeared to be at the height of light planes that fly around here as Moorabbin Airport is not far away. This thing was at least as large as a light plane, say a Cesna.  It was about 5 klms away and was lazily flapping it’s wings . . . It appeared to be lit up by the moonlight and shining as if it had no feathers. . . . I could see it quite clearly. . . . for about 5 mins whence it disappeared into the cloud bank. I estimate it was flying at a height higher than Mt Dandenong.
 
cover of new ebook on modern pterosaurs in southwest Pacific
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.